Ah... another kernel argument.  init=/linuxrc . I was wondering what magic
was making linuxrc run even though I was not adding that command line
argument.

Ok.. I'm getting further.  I'm not carefully setting the kernel arguments
to be just as they are in the pxelinux.cfg/default file:

    init=/linuxrc rw root=/dev/ram0

leaving out the initrd since pxe provides that in its own magical way.

init now runs as pid 1.  But it complains that it cannot create
/etc/initrunlvl.

-don