I'm trying to use the LTSP project to support some diskless computers
for the misterhouse project, www.misterhouse.net.

I basically have it working, the LTSP node boots from my main server
and does most of what I need, except for a two problems.

1) The LTSP machine runs xinetd which allows me to telnet into the
machine.  I really need this.  I can login as any user defined on my
NIS server except for root.  I have these lines in my LTSP i386/etc/root
file.

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/tcsh
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:
+::::::

If I change this to (add "+" to root)

+root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/tcsh
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:
+::::::

I can then login as root without any problem, however, subsequent
boots fail to properly start xinetd and I cannot telnet to the machine.
I need to always boot with the first setting, then change the setting
to login as root.

2) I'm having trouble using startup scripts in my etc/rc.d directory
with the RC_FILE_X entries in my lts.conf file.  I know the scripts
run because I can put echo debug statements in them.  I launch
various programs in the script, but they fail to start, I never see
the processes.

If I login to the LTSP unit as root (changing /etc/passw) and run
the scripts manually, everything works as I expect.

Can anyone help?

Jim Duda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]