Fred Aswad wrote:
Is there a way to remotely shutdown or reboot a thin client?

We had this topic on this list several times. The problem is that a/ the client kernel needs ACPI support built in (no idea if the recent kernels have, I had to roll my own when I tested last time) b/ the "halt -f -p" command (or anything equivalent) has to be executed on the client - guess what that a fun is without local_apps enabled! c/ So you enable local_apps. That command must be run as root. You could use sudo for that. Probably.

But one problem for sure is: You cannot remote-shutdown that workstation from the *dm login screen (I seem to remember I only tested gdm, but that's some time past; dig the archives), because (even though you can specify a "shutdown=" command in the config) on every shutdown command, no matter which command is run by gdm, it stops the whole gdm (and so kills all clients' sessions). Another problem would be that for this shutdown script, no DISPLAY= variable is present.
One could work around this by starting another program in parallel to each login screen that offers a button "shut me down"; or by having a (e.g.) icewm menu entry "poweroff" for this. Your fantasy sets the limits.

If you get something reasonably implemented, I'm sure there are people going to use it. I personally had only a hack last time, and due to my lack of experience with local_apps, it didn't get all too far. So please, if you can and like, contribute (and be sure to ask if stuck somewhere)!

Greetings,

Anselm

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by OSDN developer relations Here's your chance to show off your extensive product knowledge We want to know what you know. Tell us and you have a chance to win $100 http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?HRPT1X3RYQNC5V4MLNSV3E54 _____________________________________________________________________ Ltsp-discuss mailing list. To un-subscribe, or change prefs, goto: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ltsp-discuss For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net