[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hazzmat,

I've used lots of S3 cards with LTSP.

You said you installed the ltsp_x336_s3 package.  Did you also
set XSERVER = XF86_S3 ?    I'm guessing you did, but just figured
I'd make sure.

Yep.

Adding swap via NFS won't help the video at all.  it's only
gonna help system ram.

with only 1mb of video ram, you can't do 1024x768 16-bits.  that
requires 1.5mb of video ram.   ( 1024 x 768 ) * 2  = 1,572,864

So, the fact that you only get 800x600 doesn't surprise me.

Ok I guess I was remembering a similar IBM desktop with onboard S3trio, but with 2MB video RAM instead of 1MB. I've accumulated a small pile of old desktops more or less the same.

That would mathematically explain the 800x600 desktop. Could it also be the source of the flickering/tearing? Another "artifact" that I didn't describe in the original post was a vertical band of noise-like distortion up the right side of the screen. Heck maybe the S3 chip in this PC is just about to kick the can.
I don't have any PCI video cards to test with yet, but I can see that I'll be definitely needing them now.

S3 Savage IX --anyone have experience with these and X (the X4 version that comes with LTSP)? Or does anyone know of another kind of PCI video card that is truly well supported but cheap as dirt? like $15< ?

Thanks.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]