Mike;

Gnome is not easy to "lock down" - a simpler window
manager would be more configurable.  I suggest IceWM.
It has simple files that can be edited to control the
menus.  It can also be configured to have buttons on
the taskbar to launch apps.

By default, the menu files are in "/usr/share/icewm",
and updates should be made to files of the same name,
but in the "/etc/icewm" directory.  This preserves
your changes should you upgrade versions of icewm.

I installed the rpm from the following site:

    ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/sourceforge/icewm/icewm-1.2.13-1.i386.rpm

Installation:

    # rpm -ivh icewm*rpm
    Preparing...   ########################################### [100%]

Config file locations:

    # ls /usr/share/icewm
    icons  ledclock  menu         taskbar  toolbar
    keys   mailbox   preferences  themes   winoptions

You can go with the default theme, or choose from the
243 other themes availible from:

    http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/925/?topic_id=925

Hope this helps,

Tom