An LTSP installation (Skolelinux, Debian woody based) at a school is showing som strange problems which I wonder if anyone can help me out with. From time to time there seems to be a bottleneck in the system somewhere, my guess is the network. The symptoms are that users get a black X on a grey background, a sure sign that KDM is not happy. However, the machines on which this happens work at other times. In the log I see that kdm logs messages like these:

Dec 15 09:59:32 runni kdm[14703]: server open failed for tcdynrunni191:0, giving up
Dec 15 09:59:32 runni kdm[760]: Display tcdynrunni191:0 cannot be opened

Mostly this problem seems to be occuring at times with heavy network traffic (during breaks). Mozilla and Java games are popular, and this creates peaks in network load of more than 100 Mb/sec. But it seems also that KDM becomes more and more frutrated and that the problem is progressively worse during the day, causing the missing KDM to spread to periods of low network activity.

The spec of the server is high, dual Xeon 2.4 GHz with 4GB RAM and separate gigabit network cards. The network is fully switched with 3Com high end equipment, trunks to each pavilion are fiber. Network cards are
BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 15) using tg3 module. Kernel is 2.4.22. There are up to 50 users logged in at one time at peaks.

We're running up against a problem with this installation as it appears to be less than ideally stable. Any clues as to what might be changed to make KDM (or whatever else) happy are welcome.

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Ragnar Wisløff