On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:37:29PM -0800, Easley, Matt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to change the default ports dhcp uses (67 and 68) so it wont conflict
> with an existing dhcp server. Can anyone tell me where I make the change?
> I'm using RH9 with LTSP 3.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Matt
Here is some info on how to do this:
Excerpted from:
http://www.ltsp.org/contrib/parallel_dhcp.txt

Parallel DHCP server installation recipe
Written by Bhaskar S. Manda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Last updated: 12 Sep 2002

A. Problem: Often we have to install a trial or even production LTSP
server and clients in a subnet populated by some other OS running its
own DHCP server. An LTSP DHCP server has to give out information about
addresses, kernels, root paths, etc.  specific to LTSP. We may not have
access to the other DHCP servers, or may want to eventually remove them;
but they interfere by filling LTSP client DHCP requests. Following the
principle that the problem is easer to solve once you move it into UNIX
space, we have to find a way to run a parallel DHCP setup, possibly
invisible to Windows (oops, I meant 'other OS'!).

B. Process: Consider a desktop (non-PCMCIA) LTSP client (we'll talk
about PCMCIA in #I.2 below) and a stock LTSP setup. The following
process description is sufficient for our purposes.

   1. This client 'boots' off the Etherboot ROM/floppy and broadcasts
    a DHCP request for an IP address.
   2. The LTSP server provides an IP address and a path to a kernel.
   3. Client downloads the kernel using TFTP, boots it. At this stage
    the root FS is the ramdisk packaged with the kernel, and the booting
    process is defined in a file called 'linuxrc'. Unfortunately this
    kernel doesn't know the address and other information previously
    obtained from the DHCP server.
   4. Client does another round of DHCP and uses the address and root
    path information obtained to finish booting up.

C. Solutions:
We have (at least) 3 different approaches. I describe #1, then
give pointers to the other 2.

I. Run DHCP on a different port.
DHCP runs by default on ports udp/67 and udp/68. We can run
independently of the Windows server by using different ports. We need
some changes on both the server and client sides.

1. Server
Edit the DHCP daemon startup script to specify a different port. On
Debian, this is /etc/init.d/dhcp. Change the command inside this file to
the following.

   /usr/sbin/dhcpd -- -p 1001 -q $INTERFACES
where,
   INTERFACES="eth0" or whichever interface you are using.

Restart the DHCP server. On Debian, this is done as follows.
   /etc/init.d/dhcp restart
It should then show up as follows in the output of `ps`.
   /usr/sbin/dhcpd -p 1001 -q

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is copyright 2003.