Enrico Teotti wrote:

> Hugh ha scritto:
>
>> I'm puzzled by my inability to get NE2000 ISA cards working with LTSP.
>>
>> I previously had these old cards working with an old LTSP setup at home on
an experimental basis.  I have subsequently upgraded the server at home, and
reinstalled LTSP (still using version 3.0 series) but now my client machines
can't get further than receiving the DHCP info from the server, and then they
get stuck halfway through the downloading of the kernel from the TFTP server.

>> I _think_ I saw on this list somewhere that the kernel now provided with
the stock LTSP doesn't support NE2000 ISA cards for some reason and has to be
compiled specifically, though I could just be dreaming.  Is this correct?
>> I know I haven't provided any serious info, I'm just wondering quickly if I
am on the right track.  All the customary IRQ and IO settings, magic numbers,
etc in dhcpd.conf and lts.conf are set correctly.

> Hi Hugh,
> I have had a problem like yours.
> After a long battle versus the system tring to wonder why they doesn't work,
and asking help all around the universe, I've made them work using the LTSP
kernel:
> ltsp-kernel-2.4.19-i386_3.0.5-0_all.deb
> instead of the 2.4.22 AND using etherboot 5.0.10 code on the client boot
floppy instead of its latest version...
> I hope this will help you,
> Enrico

Enrico

Problem solved with your help!!

Many thanks for your reply, which put me on the right track.  My NE2000 cards
are now working.

I tried your solution, and they _still_ didn't work, even though all the other
NIC cards (ie that were not NE2000's) on my home LTSP network worked just
fine.  It was only the NE2000's that weren't working for some odd reason.

Yours worked and mine didn't.  The problem had to be something else.  I solved
the problem by reconfiguring the wiring  of the network very slightly.

To explain, I have a mixed CAT5/coaxial network.  The LTSP server is upstairs
in my house and connects to a 10 Meg hub using CAT5 wiring, and a number of
other PC's on the second floor are fed from the hub also using CAT 5 wiring.

The hub also has a BNC connector for a coaxial cable network, and the home
network connects to a few other computers using coaxial cable which is fed
down through the house to the basement - ie - the hub is upstairs at one end
of the coaxial cable, and the router is at the other end of the coaxial cable
in the basement, again using a BNC connector, with a few machines in between.

Because of my house, the setup does actually make sense, it has worked fine
for years and works fine with all machines, all running lots of different
operating systems (Linux, OS/2, Windows, etc). All of the NE2000 cards were
also working fine under all OS'es, _except_ for when I tried to boot them
using LTSP.  Even more weirdly, other machines on the coaxial cable booted
LTSP without problem - it was _just_ the NE2000 equipped ones that didn't
work.

I solved the problem by checking the coax connections and reconfiguring the
coax wiring slightly.  I think the impedance on the coaxial network was
probably not quite correct.  It never showed up using other operating
systems, but I think it slowed up the network just enough that the
handshaking, etc with the TFTP server got held up somehow, and the system
then waited forever.

Just my theory.

So my NE2000's were working all along (they always got DHCP fine and then got
stuck part way through the TFTP part).  It was the _network_ that wasn't
working (even though it seemed like it was).

MORAL OF THE STORY - don't take your network topology/wiring for granted, even
if it seems to be working fine.

Thanks from Ottawa

Hugh Campbell