If you have a switch with the clients having only 10 Mbps  Network card
it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a 100 Mbps Network card on
the server.

Bandwidth per client is 1-2 Mbps (based on our initial testing, others
can confirm their finding).

Our experience has been that Pentium 1-100 MHz PCs with 32 MB RAM will
give you acceptable performance and yes we are using these at various
places.

Regards
Prakash

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 15:42, Beast wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this list, pls pardon my ignorance.
>
> How much band with is required by each client? I have fast ethernet switch but most
> client are only support 10Mbps, is this enough? (around 100 clients)
> actually I did not want to use pure ltsp, I can install local OS and X server,
> because all client are having > 4GB hd, but data are stored on server, so no network
> mapping ).
>
> May i ask what is the 'real' benefit of using ltsp?
> Yes i know it can utilise 'old' PC to run resources intensive apps, but how 'old'?
> it mostly depends on how good is VGA card and monitor of clients. Unfortunately most
> of old clients are only having limited VGA memory and monitor, which was 'unusable'
> when working on linux environment (sure, it was 'usable' on MS windows env. because
> most apps are still fine with low res and win driver can utilise vga card better
> than X.
> So anyone here using old pc as client for day to day working? what is the minimal
> requirement?
>
> Thanks.
> (no flame please...)
>

> --beast

Prakash Advani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Netcore Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

NETCORE SOLUTIONS *** Ph: +91 22 5662 8000 Fax: +91 22 5662 8134

MailServ and FlexiMail: Messaging Solutions: http://netcore.co.in

Pragatee: Integrated Server-Software Suite: http://www.pragatee.com

Emergic Freedom: Server-centric Computing: http://www.emergic.com

BlogStreet: Blog Profiles and RSS Ecosystem: http://blogstreet.com