Hi,

I am running SuSE Linux ES8, which I used to install a system on disk with a minimum
configuration.  I then took the entire root filesystem (without /proc contents) and
created an initrd image and compressed it (I did all the appropriate things with
/etc/fstab, /sbin/fsck.ext2 etc).  I uploaded this initrd and the clients
/boot/vmlinuz file on to the dhcp servers /tftpboot dir.  Needless to say, I setup the
pxelinux.cfg dir and dhcpd.conf etc. to get the network boot to work and it does work.

The diskless client boots over the network and downloads vmlinuz and initrd (100MB
compressed, 350MB uncompressed) and the kernel boots up.  Everything seems to go fine,
the kernel sets up the network and brings up services, I see no, "failed" during the
boot up.  I log in and am unable to ping the server (which is on the same subnet,
infact I have a cross over cable between the two boxes for now).  What I find is that
if I allow the ping to initiate the ARP request, the server replies the ARP request
with his MAC but the client keeps sending the ARP request as if it never saw the
reply.  If I see either ifconfig output or netstat -in output, both show RX packets
increasing but they also show that 0 bytes were received...no layer 3 payload.  If I
use arp -s to set the arp cache manually on both ends, I see ICMP echo request going
out from the client and the server responding with an echo reply, but then again the
same story.  RX packets increasing but no data being received.!
   So, the client has setup the network enough to send packets out and solicit
receiving packets.

Has anyone seen this before?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Deepak