Michael;

In general, the message:

    "connection refused"

means there is no process listening on that
port.  First things first ...

Are you *sure* the terminal is assigned the
address and name ws001?  One way to find out
is to open a character window and enter:

    $ echo $DISPLAY

Are you running iptables?  It may be blocking
traffic on port 22.

It should show something like "ws001:0.0".

Does it respond to ping?

Does the "sshd" process run on the terminal?
Edit the /etc/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf file and
set "RUNLEVEL = 3", reboot the terminal and
check for the "sshd" process.  While you're
at it, you can also press <Shift>PgUp and read
the initialization to see what's happening
during bootup.

Most likely, the daemon isn't being started
for one reason or another.

Hope this helps,

Tom