I have updated my patch. The original didn't work quite right with the Busybox version of pidof. The busybox version gives a return value of 0 whether or not a pid is returned.

The user will need to use ctrl+alt+backspace to make the HUP occur.

The updated version is available under the same file name:

ftp://nickhill.co.uk/pub/ltsp4-screen_session-patch-esd.tgz

useage:
cd /opt/ltsp/i386/etc
patch screen_session /path/to/screen_session.patch