Jason Young wrote:

Varun,

If you're using Shorewall under Webmin, your file called "policy" in
"/etc/shorewall" should look something like this:

#SOURCE DEST POLICY LOG LIMIT:BURST
# LEVEL
loc net ACCEPT
net all DROP info
#
# THE FOLLOWING POLICY MUST BE LAST
#
$FW all ACCEPT -
loc $FW ACCEPT -
all all REJECT info
#LAST LINE -- DO NOT REMOVE

I have some extra rules in here that allow me to access my firewall from
local clients and also to access the net from the firewall itself. Also, if you're Masquerading you need to make sure that's configured as
well. Regarding your original Internet Access problem, how are you
handling logons for your fat and thin clients? Is everyone performing a
local logon or are you doing unified logons through NIS or LDAP? If
you're doing local logons for your LTSP/squid server, you can apply
firewall rules in shorewall based on users and/or groups. Apparently,
user/group based rules only apply to the machine shorewall is running
on, so you could limit access to the net from your LTSP clients that
way. I believe the solutions Kai mentioned would work equally as well,
perhaps better using only squid. From what I've read so far, I believe
his solution also requires installing and enabling IDENT on the server
and clients that will be hitting accessing squid.

As Jim has mentioned before, which me see the light, simple firewall
rules aren't going to help due to the fact all of the instances of
Mozilla (or any other browser) your LTSP clients are running are
actually running on the server.  So as far as the firewall's concerned,
he'll apply rules to your LTSP clients as if it was your LTSP server (in
your case the firewall itself) originating the traffic.  This creates a
situation in which your server becomes a bit of a paranoid
schizophrenic.

- Jason