We converted your setting to Novell's DHCP config and it worked.

Thanks for the hint

Peter

Patrick Barber wrote:

Pete wrote:

Hi All :

What needs to be done on the LTSP server if I want to turn of the DHCP server
on the LTSP box and have it replaced by another server on the same subnet.

I know I have to turn off the DHCPD service etc but I want to understand what is going on behind the scenes.

From the manual I know that the DC broadcasts to a DHCP server.
This server answers with some info like the pathname to the kernel.
I am interested in what the pathname to the kernel is gonna be.
Do I have to copy vmlinux to the dhcp server or does it stays on the LTSP box?

Setup
192.168.10.1 = LTSP 4.0.1
192.168.10.2 = DHCP server (Novell NDS 8)

clients 192.168.10.10 /8

Help appreciated

Peter

For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

below is the entry for one of my LTSP clients, I boot the client the same way as you mention, DHCP on on server, and LTSP is running on another (192.168.3.101)...the two critical lines are the "option root-path", and "next-server"

host hera {
       option root-path "192.168.3.101:/opt/ltsp/i386";
       option host-name "hera.olympus";
       next-server 192.168.3.101;
       filename "/lts/2.4.22-ltsp-2/pxelinux.0";
       hardware ethernet 00:50:8b:db:82:6d;
       fixed-address 192.168.3.102;
       }
hope this helps