We have a rather debilitating NFS problem here that recently went from obnoxious and sporadic to frequent and serious. I've done quite a bit of Googling and haven't found any satisfactory solutions.

Our terminal server (Mdk9.2 w/ win4lin) is an NFS client that mounts its /home partition (and a couple other data partitions) from our primary file server. At various times, the NFS share will become non-responsive on the terminal server. All processes that try to access NFS shares that 'disappear' in this fashion go into an uninterruptible I/O-related sleep as shown by the 'D' flag in ps, including kdm terminal login when it tries to retrieve user window manager preference. 'mount' still shows the shares as being mounted, df hangs. The only thing that shows up on the logs on the NFS client/terminal server side is the following(FQDN of server name removed):

Jun 3 22:30:49 desktop kernel: nfs: server XXXXX not responding, still trying

Nothing at all shows up in the logs on the NFS host side. The two servers are connected via a single 100bT switch, which is well-used but not saturated at peak times, let alone in the evening hours when these issues occur. LTSP clients themselves have no problems mounting the /home partition from the file server. Accounts that do not depend on the NFS /home mount are able to log in and run applications normally. Restarting netfs client-side and nfslock server-side takes care of the primary problem but we usually end up rebooting the terminal server as KDE continues to be very unstable after this occurs.

If anyone has a solution to this I'd be overjoyed, and at the very least I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this particular difficulty.

Thanks,

--Adrian

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the one
installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and