Hi,

We have LTSP deployed in about 30 different locations, deployment was
completed about 6 weeks ago.  Since deployment we've been getting complaints
that users "get logged out".  I believe that what is happening is that the X
server is getting crashing/resetting.

Our configuration is LTSP4 booting off Redhat servers.  The LTSP clients
authenticate to the redhat system via gdm, they run a window manager (icewm)
off the redhat system and they run a mixture of local apps (via ssh) and
remote apps (on bootserver).

I have remote syslog enabled but no helpful messages are logged from the LTSP
system.  The bootserver does log messages like this which I believe
correspond to the users being "logged out":

  Jun  1 08:13:04 bootserver gdm[936]: gdm_slave_windows_kill_ioerror_handler:
    Fatal X error - Restarting ltspclient.blah.blah:0

Once I had a complaint that everyone got logged out at once in one location
(at least 6 LTSP clients).  Another complaint I've had is that if they leave
their workstation they come back only to find themselves logged out.

I'm using X3 since I haven't been able to get decent video yet under X4 (the
clients are IBM Netvista thin clients).  The machines have only 64MB of
memory so I'd wondered if they might be running out of memory but I don't see
any out of memory messages being logged (from either bootserver or thin
client).  Does anyone know of a ready-made method for permanent logging of X
messages on the thin client (no permanent local storage available).

Uptime many of these thin clients is measured in weeks despite these "log out"
issues.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
--
Fraser Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 http://www.wehave.net/