We've got a setup with about 40 terminals running LTSP. We've been running on LTSP-3, but are now setting up a new replacement server with LTSP-4. We've got the new one set up enough so that some of our workstations boot and run from it just fine. However, some terminals that work with our old server don't work with the new one. Some can't seem to get working X drivers, and some report xfs problems, with XFree86 reporting "Could not init font path element tcp/192.168.6.220:7100" and then exiting with error: "Could not open defauled font 'fixed'." None of our Ati Rage terminals have these problem, only the non-Ati. Netstat shows that xfs is listening to 7100. The Ati Rage-based terminals seem to have no problems getting their fonts.

Set #1:

Our Laptops with Trident Cyberblade Ai1 do not autodetect. With our globally-defined 'XSERVER = auto', we get:

Scanning for video card
ERROR: Auto probe of the video card failed !
You need to specify the proper X server in lts.conf

When you do specify the server via 'XSERVER=trident' in lts.conf, if reports an xfs failure and stops loading X with the following error: "Could not init font path element tcp/192.168.6.220:7100

Set #2

Our terminals with Matrox Millenium G400 cards do not auto-detect. They are listed in the XF86 docs as the 'mga' driver. When it is not specified, you get:

   ERROR: Auto probe of the video card failed !
          You need to specify the proper X server in lts.conf

The file "mga_drv.o" is present in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/, but X seems to be looking for a file called "mga_hal". When you do specify 'XSERVER = mga', X exits with: "Could not find module 'mga_hal' (module does not exist, 0)" and then the xfs failure error as in #1.

Set #3

Our SiS 530 terminals do properly auto-detect, but fail with the following:

Symbol drmFreeVersion from module /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/sis_drv.o is unresolved.
Symbol drmCommandWrite from module /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/sis_drv.o is unresolved.
Symbol drmFreeVersion from module /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/sis_drv.o is unresolved.
Symbol drmGetVersion from module /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/sis_drv.o is unresolved.

And then the same xfs error: "Could not init font path element tcp/192.168.6.220:7100

Again, all these machines worked fine with LTSP-3. Is there something easy that we're doing wrong? If not, how can we fix these issues? Please help!

Our lts.conf file follows:

#
# Config file for the Linux Terminal Server Project (www.ltsp.org)
#

[Default]
   DISABLE_ACCESS_CONTROL = Y
   LOCAL_APPS         = Y
   SOUND           = N
   USE_XFS            = Y
       USE_NFS_SWAP       = Y

   SEARCH_DOMAIN       = "desc.org"
   NIS_DOMAIN       = "descnis"

   SERVER             = 192.168.6.220
   DNS_SERVER       = 192.168.6.212
    XFS_SERVER       = 192.168.6.220
# The following line is a test by Adrian Mar 6 2003
   NFS_SERVER       = 192.168.6.203
#    NIS_SERVER       = 192.168.6.205
       XSERVER            = vga
   RDP_SERVER = mip.desc.org
   X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "IMPS/2"
   X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
   X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
   X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 5
   X_ZAxisMapping      = "4 5"

       SYSLOG_HOST        =       192.168.6.203

   SCREEN_01    = startx
   SCREEN_02    = shell
   SCREEN_03    = rdesktop
   X_COLOR_DEPTH = 24

# Group terminal configs

[Intellistation]
   XSERVER = mga
   LOCAL_APPS = Y

# Regular terminals configs follow

[funddev] LIKE = Intellistation

[funddev2]
   XSERVER = sis
   LOCAL_APPS    = Y

[compspt]
# Standard ATI video-based terminal, 30 others like it
# that work were fine stripped for brevity
   LOCAL_APPS       = Y
   LOCAL_WM       = Y
#    X_MODE_0        = 1024x768
   X_MODE_0    = 1280x1024
       MODULE_01 = parport
       MODULE_02 = parport_pc
       MODULE_03 = lp
       PRINTER_0_DEVICE    = /dev/lp0
       PRINTER_0_TYPE      = P

[laptop1]
XSERVER = trident
LOCAL_APPS = Y
SOUND = Y
SOUND_DAEMON = esd # This can be 'nasd', or 'esd' at this time
VOLUME = 100 # Speaker & WAVE volume pecentage
MIC_VOLUME = 100 # Microphone volume
CD_VOLUME = 75 # CD Audio volume
SMODULE_01 = soundcore
SMODULE_02 = uart401