On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:45, Marvin T. Pascual wrote:
> Is it possible on the thin client's side?

I'm no expert, but I can't imagine how it could work - well, not if you
want it to resume with all applications open, etc. The reason for this
is that the toolkits currently in use do not support application
disconnects/reconnects (AFAIK no X11 apps do ATM). To suspend, you'd
need to notify apps to disconnect from the X server (which would be
inaccessible). On resume, they'd need to be told the X server was back
and asked to reconnect.

There is work going on to make this possible for other reasons, such as
providing more VNC-like flexibility with X and making it possible to
(say) migrate a running app from a machine at work to a desktop at home.
I don't think it's much more than extremely experimental right now,
though.

Without disconnect/reconnect support for the apps, I can't see how it
could work. You could hope the apps and OS didn't notice the server
going down ... but as soon as an app tried to do anything involving the
server (like a periodic graphical update), it'd die.

It'd be cool, especially since most likely making client suspend
possible would make client session migration possible too, but I don't
think we'll be seeing it any time soon.

Of course, as I said I'm no expert...

--
Craig Ringer