Hi, I've been using the ltsp package for a little while now and decided to make an ebuild for Gentoo Linux, www.gentoo.org. I've got some questions, though, since I don't think that the default LTSP installation method can work for ebuilds.

As you know, the perl script always downloads the latest versions and installs them. This is exaclty what the "emerge" command in gentoo does! This causes problems with emerge and the ebuild as the ebuild will have to be manually updated in order to reflect the newer versions of individual packages that might not be announced on the webpage. What is the policy for minor updates to individual components? Will that be released as a new version?

I understand if it isn't. Gentoo hardly releases a new version of Gentoo every time that someone updates a package. As you say in your web page, LTSP is practically it's own linux distribution. I wouldn't expect "emerge redhat" or "emerge debian" to work, so it's already a miracle and a testament to your work that "emerge ltsp" does.

Also, will the 4.1 files be eventually hosted on the sourceforge server? My ebuild downloads them directly from www.ltsp.org/ltsp-4.1. While there's no link on the main site to these files, will there be one once this comes out of beta?

There's a second solution, though. I could just have the ebuild download *all* the source files and compile them on the local machine. While this is how Gentoo is supposed to work, in the case of LTSP I'm not sure that's a good idea. It might be a complete waste of resources. It seems to me that there isn't any advantage in compiling the packages on the server when the packages themselves will be run on clients. Or am I mistaken in my understanding of LTSP?

Thanks a lot for any help and I eagerly await 4.1 final.

Cheers,
Kenn Sebesta