Hello all

I've recently installed Fedora Core 2, and LTSP 4 on a P4
system (intel motherboard) for a student computer lab.  The
system is pretty much working fine except that most of the
time when you click log off it hangs and takes probably 2
to 3 minutes to log off.  A Ctrl Alt backspace kills the
session, which is ok, but not ideal for logging off,
especially for usage in a student computer lab.

To customize Gnome I edited the applications.menu and
preferences.menu files as well as removed many .desktop
files to remove all menu items that students don't need to
see - could making changes like these cause gnome to hang
when logging off, and is there a log file somewhere that
could help me with more info to see why its hanging?

After the session ends a few child processes are hanging
around namely:
test     18611     1  0 Aug02 ?        00:00:00
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
test     18613     1  0 Aug02 ?        00:00:00
/usr/libexec/bonobo-activation-server --ac-activate
--ior-output-fd=19

Also the home folders which automount from another linux
server (RH8) are behaving quite differently from the
previous LTSP system that I was running (Red Hat 8 + LTSP
3).  Previously all the home folders for all the users
would mount and then unmount if not used. Now only the home
folders of the users that log on mount and then do not
unmount after use.  Possibly because of these child
processes?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Kevin

A couple of things are happening on the server: