On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 09:09, Nifty Fredo wrote:

> how on earth do you go about setting this up?? am trying to setup an
> internet cafe and the software needs lstp. am fairly new to linux but have
> an idea what to do. have downloaded it and and installed and it says i need
> tftpd. got that and it needs rc-inetd. got that and it needs inetdaemon. got
> that and it needs rc-scripts. got that and it conflicts with heaps of stuff
> already installed.

Just use the Mandrake Linux 10.0 packages and I'm sure you'll be safe.
And don't forget to use the "urpmi" tool to install the 3 basic
services/packages needed to run LTSP namely dhcp-server, nfs-utils and
tftp-server.

# urpmi dhcp-server nfs-utils tftp-server
# chkconfig --level 5 dhcp on
# chkconfig --level 5 portmap on
# chkconfig --level 5 nfs on
# chkconfig --level 5 xinetd on

Afterwards, install LTSP packages in your Mandrake Linux 10.0 server.
Once you already configured your LTSP by following the LTSP
documentation, don't forget to remove your /var/lib/tftpboot directory
and make a symbolic link from /tftpboot to /var/lib/tftpboot.

# rmdir /var/lib/tftpboot
# ln -s /tftpboot /var/lib/tftpboot

Don't forget to configure the 3 basic configuration files to make LTSP
work well namely /etc/hosts, /etc/dhcpd.conf and
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf files.

> have downloaded some cdrom iso for the boot rom as i can't buy any of the
> network cards with the bootrom on them in Australia as noted on http://www
> disklessworkstations.com/ but have to get server up and running first. any
> help will be much appreciated.

Hey!  You can just download the floppy Etherboot images (.zdsk) of your
NICs from http://www.rom-o-matic.net/5.2.5/ and you can boot from floppy
instead of CD-ROM which I believe is much expensive.  After the clients
boots from the floppy Etherboot image, you can use those floppy drives
for local floppy supports.

For example, I have here a CNET PRO200 PCI NIC which uses an983b
chipset, I'd go to http://www.rom-o-matic.net/5.2.5/ and download the
NIC/ROM type of tulip:an983b and just click the GET ROM button because I
believe the default ROM output would be floppy bootable ROM image
(.zdsk) already and you don't have to customize your ROM configuration.
Once I already downloaded the an983b floppy Etherboot image, I'll just
insert my blank floppy to it's floppy drive and will do the command of:

$ cat eb-5.2.5-tulip.zdsk > /dev/fd0

Good luck!

Marvin