On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 05:02, garry wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 Aug 2004 03:13, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> > Gary,
> >
> > I think you've got 2 different, unrelated problems:
> >
> > 1) The syslogd error is more of a warning.  You need to configure
> >    your syslogd to allow remote clients to send their log messages.
> >    There are various ways to do this, depending on your distro.
> >    It's a '-r' option to syslogd that allows remote logging.
> >
> >    For redhat and mdk (and possibly others), edit /etc/sysconfig/syslog
> >    and add '-r' to the SYSLOGD_OPTIONS variable.
> >
> >    For Debian, you need to edit the /etc/init.d/sysklogd script, and
> >    find the SYSLOGD variable, and add -r.
> >
> >    Then, restart syslogd.
> >
> > 2) The fatal server error is the Xserver dying.  Looks like it can't
> >    write to the /var directory, which is supposed to be a symlink to
> >    /tmp, which is a ramdisk.
> >
> >    I've seen problems like this happen, when people remove the
> >    /opt/ltsp/i386/var symlink, because they think it is broken.
> >
> >    If that's the case, then you need to re-create that symlink.
> >    Something like:
> >
> >           cd /opt/ltsp/i386
> >           ln -s /tmp/var var
> >
> >    If that's not the problem, then try setting 'SCREEN_01 = shell' in
> >    lts.conf file, and see if you get a shell when you reboot the client.
> >
> >    From that shell, see if you have a /var directory, and see if it's
> >    symlink pointing into /tmp.
> >
> >    Let us know what you find there.
> >

> > That should get you moving towards a functional LTSP setup.
> >
> > Jim McQuillan
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thanks I've sorted it now. I thought I could just copy the LTSP tree from one
> server to another and it would work -wrong! I noticed the missing symlink and
> so did a proper install and it worked first time. I also sorted the syslog
> problem as you have suggested above. Again thanks.

You actually can copy the tree from one place to another.  It just
depends on how you copy it.

I prefer using cpio with the 'p' option:

  mkdir /opt/ltsp-1
  cd /opt/ltsp
  find ./ -print | cpio -pvmud /opt/ltsp-1

That will copy all of /opt/ltsp to /opt/ltsp-1, preserving everything,
including symlinks, device nodes, file access times, permissions.

That's the one way that I know of that works in all the Linux/Unix
environments that i've played with.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]