I found a solution protracted fault with LTSP (V3) boxes the other day. I had been having complaints of people having random lockups in the ICA client up to 5 times a day. The CITRIX session could be shadowed and manipulated but the user could see none of it.
Most clients affected were VIA EDEN boxes. The terminal seemed ok but needed a reboot to get the ICA client working.

After much fiddling, I got the person that was worst affected and installed a hard disk with Fedora Core 2 that started much like the LTSP clients.
Magically the problem went away.
After a bit of thought I tried copying the ICA client to a local ram disk on the LTSP clients in case it was network connectivity that was causing the problems. That helped a bit but didn't stop all of the lockups.

After considering the differences between the local Fedora Core 2 and the LTS client I hit on the kernel (2.6) on Core 2, and more particular the ALSA drivers. The VIA EDEN boxes regularly have an assertion from the sound driver in the kernel log (dmesg).
The worst affected user let slip that mostly he was doing a similar thing, backspacing over fields in a form. I though, if he was going too far perhaps the application was trying to make an error beep or something. The user did not have speakers on his terminal, even though the terminals were set up for it.

I installed strace on the LTSP clients and waited for a call that my test user had locked up.
A little later, the phone call came and strace showed when tracing the ICA client:
ioctl(5,SNDCTL_DSP_SYNC,

Then nothing, it was stuck in the kernel.

I disabled the ICA sound and 100 people are happy.

Now to build a kernel with ALSA instead of OSS drivers in it.

How about it Jim?

Regards
Darryl Bond

DISCLAIMER

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only
for the addressee and may contain legally privileged, personal, sensitive or
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, and have
received this email, any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or
photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly
prohibited. Any legal privilege or confidentiality attached to this message and
attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of delivery to any
person other than intended addressee. If you have received this message and
are not the intended addressee you should notify the sender by return email and
destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.  Unless expressly
attributed, the views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent the
views of the company.

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by Shop4tech.com-Lowest price on Blank Media 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33 Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift. http://www.shop4tech.com/z/Inkjet_Cartridges/9_108_r285 _____________________________________________________________________ Ltsp-discuss mailing list. To un-subscribe, or change prefs, goto: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ltsp-discuss For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net