Problem solved!  After mucking about for days in the
innards of xservers, the answer turned out to be very
simple..  My ancient video card couldn't handle 16 bit
color!  Forcing to 8bit in the lts.conf for this work
station worked like a charm.

Thanks for you help...

Now if I could only get the sound to play on the work
station instead of the server... but that's for
another thread :)