> > RedHat 9 does not port forward like this. You need to
> >
> > echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

> He's also modified sysctl.conf to enable forwarding, so there's no
> need to use echo to set the value. sysctl will do it at boot.

I have been through the same process recently using a redhat system,

(1) Edit /etc/sysctl.conf, change

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

In my case I enable the firewall on the LTSP server, eth0 to only allow
port 22 (SSH) in, the secret to getting this to work is to tell your
modem router about the second network on eth1.

My modem / router is administered with a web browser, so I log into it
and change the route table to add the new route

Destination       Netmask          Gateway
192.168.2.0    255.255.255.0     192.168.1.2

                -------------------
                |       inet      |
                |ADSL Modem router|
                |   masquerading  |
                |   192.168.1.1   |
                -------------------

                -------------------
                |eth0 192.168.1.2 |
                |   LTSP SRVR     |
                |     routing     |
                |eth1 192.168.2.1 |
          192.168.2.2    192.168.2.3   182.168.2.x
            CLIENT1         CLIENT2       CLIENT3

Cheers,

Derek