Jim and all,

I just saw a list of hacking topics for the upcoming "LTSP by the sea" event.  I
a couple of the topics were getting a local display manager and ssh tunnelling.
 I did some preliminary work on this last spring and thought I'd share my notes
to see if it sparks anything.  Basically, I set up a terminal to run
"s-terminal" which is a small graphical interface that runs locally on the
terminal, collects the username and password and sets up a tunneled x session.
It worked well.  Sorry it took me so long to get this to the list.

Here are the notes I took when I was doing it.  Hope this is helpful.

-----------------------

Here is the beginning of some notes on how to implement LTSP with encrypted X
sessions.

Steps

   1. set up an NIS/LDAP gateway http://www.radux.com/ypAnything
   2. enable local apps
   3. get a local display manager going (authenticating against ldap through NIS
for now)
   4. use .xinitrc file (or default session file) to launch a window manager via
ssh
   5. develop a "screen script" to make this a normal option for LTSP

There are some primary security issues here. Here are some priorities

   1. encrypt all data over the wire
   2. completely replace NIS with real LDAP authentication for local apps
   3. figure out a better ssh key storage system than NFS home directories.

-- DerekDresser - 21 Apr 2004

I just got a prototype working. Starting with a normal LTSP 4 installation with
local apps (NIS), I was able to start a display manager (XDM) on a terminal,
then log in as a user and bring up just an xterm. From that X term, i started a
window manager on the server with X11 forwarding. Once the window manager is
running over ssh, anything started from within it also gets tunnelled through
ssh. It works fine.

Obviously the NFS traffic (between the terminal server and file server) is still
outside the ssh tunnel, but all the X traffic is encrypted over the wire. very
cool!! It is certainly a start towards more security with X terminals. Next
step is probably to work on a screen script, Then play with the LDAP/NIS
gateway.

Ok, this is getting better. I realized earlier that I was still authenticating
with NIS and that was bad, so I went looking for something to replace the
display manager to allow me to only send ssh over the wire. I found something
called S-Terminal (https://freshmeat.net/projects/sterminal/) which is a secure
X terminal addon for Knoppix. It worked fine. I needed to install the following
things with apt-get

tclx8.0.4
expect

I also had to make the following link

ln -s /usr/lib/libexpect5.32.so.1 /usr/lib/libexpect5.32.so

I also had to modify /usr/local/src/sterminal/sterminal.xsession.tcl

I changed the flag on the ssh comand from -C to -X

configuration of sterminal in /usr/local/src/sterminal/sterminal.conf just
required changing the hostname and setting the Xsession path. I used
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Xsession

In debian, I added the following to the end of the inittab to test this on the
second display

w2:2:wait:/bin/sleep 2
x2:2:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1
st:2:respawn:/usr/local/src/sterminal/sterminal.pl :1
#cw:2:respawn:/etc/cron-watcher.pl

-- DerekDresser - 21 Apr 2004

Setting up S-terminal

This file comes as a .zip file so first you must unzip it

mkdir /usr/local/src/sterminal
mv sterminal.....zip /usr/local/src/sterminal
cd /usr/local/src/sterminal

Next, you want to untar the configuration files. You can do this with

tar -jpPxf configs.tbz

You Should now have a directory that looks like this

muddy:/usr/local/src/sterminal# ls -al
total 232
drwxr-sr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Apr 23 10:23 .
drwxrwsr-x    7 root     staff        4096 Apr 23 10:14 ..
-r--r--r--    1 root     staff       18009 Mar  7  2003 LICENSE.txt
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     staff        3811 Mar  7  2003 README
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     staff       42040 Mar  9  2003 configs.tbz
-rwxr-xr-x    1 500      500           263 Mar  7  2003 cron-watcher.pl
-rw-r--r--    1 500      500           640 Mar  7  2003 crontab
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Mar  7  2003 examples
-rwxrwxr-x    1 500      500           196 Mar  4  2003 getgeom.sh
-rw-r--r--    1 500      500          2406 Mar  7  2003 inittab
-rw-r--r--    1 root     staff         420 Mar  5  2003 knoppix.sh
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     staff        1039 Mar  7  2003 making-a-cd.txt
-rw-rw-r--    1 500      500          4421 Mar  7  2003 sterminal-lib.pl
-rw-r--r--    1 500      500         18673 Mar  6  2003 sterminal-splash.gif
-rwxrwxr-x    1 500      500           780 Mar  9  2003 sterminal-update.pl
-rwxrwxr-x    1 500      500            43 Mar  7  2003 sterminal-update.script
-rw-rw-r--    1 500      500           407 Mar  9  2003 sterminal.conf
-rw-rw-r--    1 500      500         11669 Feb 28  2003 sterminal.gif
-rwxrwxr-x    1 500      500          2535 Mar  7  2003 sterminal.pl
-rwxr-xr-x    1 500      500          9947 Mar  9  2003 sterminal.xsession.tcl
-rw-------    1 dsd      dsd         52865 Apr 23 10:14 sterminal.zip
-rw-rw-r--    1 500      500          3238 Mar  6  2003 tux.gif

--
Derek Dresser
http://network.gouldacademy.org/

"What is research but a blind date with knowledge?"
       --Will Harvey