Jim - Just double-checked and you're absolutely right. X is not running when
the terminals are shut off. I ended up editing two copies of the Xservers file
to make it permanent but it's all good now.

#1 - /etc/kde/kdm/Xservers,
#2 - /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

Lanman,

Ok, maybe i'm not being clear here.

If you comment out the entries in the Xservers file, there WILL NOT BE a
process running on the server called 'X'.

It doesn't matter whether the terminals are on or off.  X will not be
running on the server.

If the terminals are running, you will have some X client programs, but
the process named 'X' will not be running.

Jim.

Jim, According to the kdmrc file on my server, I can prevent the login manager (greeter/chooser?), and/or desktop from launching on the server, while still making it available to the terminals.

By commenting out the first display output line in Xservers (in the two locations listed in previous email), I can prevent all of this from launching on the server (local) display. Here is a copy of that file with the first line commented out.

#:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -deferglyphs 16
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9 -deferglyphs 16
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10 -deferglyphs 16
:4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11 -deferglyphs 16
:5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12 -deferglyphs 16

That's exactly what I've done and it is running beautifully.

Checking 'top' via ssh from a 'Fat-Terminal' on the network, I can see that both 'xfs' and 'kdm' are running as daemons (services?) and the monitor connected directly to the server is sitting at a console login prompt (black screen with login prompt), while 3 terminals are now running on the test network.

There is NO process called 'X' being shown in 'top', and if I understand your email just now, there shouldn't be a copy of 'X' running on the server at all, whether it's for the local display on the server or for the terminals. That's exactly what's happening already and whatI'm trying to say.

The only thing I was trying to say in my last email was that this is exactly what my results were, but I had to edit BOTH copies of the 'Xservers' file to make it permanent.

Is that what you thought should happen or am I missing something else?

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: Sybase ASE Linux Express Edition - download now for FREE LinuxWorld Reader's Choice Award Winner for best database on Linux. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=5588&alloc_id=12065&op=click _____________________________________________________________________ Ltsp-discuss mailing list. To un-subscribe, or change prefs, goto: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ltsp-discuss For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net