On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 08:23, Daniel Hedblom wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a bit of a hard time with a Broadcom 5700 nic. It isnt supported by
> etherboot or rom-o-matic but there is a gpl driver on the broadcom
> homepage. Does anyone know howto add a nic driver to a running system? I
> must be doing it wrong somehow. Right now my boss keeps me between a rock
> and a hard place.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

There is a Broadcom 5700 driver available at the usual place :-) It is
also supported by the tg3 driver which is part of most of the kernel
releases i've seen. So a 'modprobe tg3' should do the trick.
The autodetect during LTSP/PXE boot is a different thing; for that you
will have to rebuild the initrd supplied with the kernel.

- startup the 'broadcom' machine
- do a 'scanpci' (comes with X), lookup your NIC and note the number for
device and vendor
- download the ltsp_initrd_kit
- yank a tg3-line in the 'niclist' and replace the device an vendor ID
- rebuild the initrd and replace the 'old' initrd.

It worked for me.....

Regards,

Simon