Hi,

You have an extra ';' there in your dhcp config.  Change:
option; domain-name paradise.net.nz;
To:
option domain-name paradise.net.nz;

Mark Saward

Adam Bogacki wrote:

Thanks .. it booted successfully with 'eb-5.2.5-rtl8139.zdsk' using CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT but could not find dhcp.
The client has an onboard NIC I was unaware of when I inserted the PCI network card .

I'd like to eliminate the possibility of incorrect config before trying tlan:netflex3b, or pcnet32:lancepci floppies from rom-o-matic.
Can you see if anything is misconfigured ?

[Successful] WinXP->WIn98 config:

Server
IP                   192.168.0.1
SubNet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway               (Null)

Client
IP                   192.168.0.2
SubNet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway         192.168.0.1

[LTSP config]

I'm not familiar with dhcp - my ISP uses static (BOOTP ?) DNS allocation.
Can you see any  mis-configs in  /etc/dhcpd.conf ?

I'm getting the following error messages

Tux:/etc# dhcpd start
<snip>
/etc/dhcpd.conf line 8: expecting identifier after option keyword.
option;
       ^
/etc/dhcpd.conf line 8: expecting a parameter or declaration.
option; domain-name
        ^
/etc/dhcpd.conf line 92: unexpected end of file

My ' /etc/dhcpd.conf'  includes

option; domain-name paradise.net.nz;
option domain-name-servers tux.paradise.net.nz;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.224;
default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 21600;

<snip>

host tux {
#  hardware ethernet 08:00:07:26:c0:a5;
  fixed-address tux.paradise.net.nz;
#}

<snip>

#host confusia {
#  hardware ethernet 02:03:04:05:06:07;
#  filename "vmunix.confusia";
#  server-name "bb.home.vix.com";
}

My /etc/hosts includes

127.0.0.1       localhost
203.79.110.81   tux.paradise.net.nz Tux mail.paradise.net.nz loghost
192.168.0.1     Tux Gateway
192.168.0.2     client Misia

<snip>

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
## LTSP-begin ##

and my  /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf includes

 SERVER             = 192.168.0.1
        XSERVER            = auto
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
        X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
        X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
        USE_XFS            = N
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        RUNLEVEL           = 5

<snip>

[ws001]
#        DNS_SERVER         = 192.168.0.2
        XSERVER            = auto
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
#       LOCAL_WM           = N
#       NIS_DOMAIN         = MISIA
#       NIS_SERVER         = ltsp
        USE_NFS_SWAP       = Y
        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 48m
        RUNLEVEL           = 5

<snip>

[ws001]
PRINTER_0_DEVICE = /dev/ttyS1
PRINTER_0_TYPE = S # P-Parallel, S-Serial
PRINTER_0_PORT = 9100 # tcp/ip port: defaults to 9100
PRINTER_0_SPEED = 9600 # baud rate: defaults to 9600
PRINTER_0_FLOWCTRL = S # Flow control: S-Software (XON/XOFF),
# H-Hardware (CTS/RTS)
PRINTER_0_PARITY = N # Parity: N-None, E-Even, O-Odd
# (defaults to 'N')
PRINTER_0_DATABITS = 8 # Databits: 5,6,7,8 (defaults to 8)

Adam Bogacki, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

John A. Smith wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly or not . . . I assume you are trying to boot off a floppy and you are using a pci nic, not the onboard nic. Booting from floppy should be allowed by default in any older machine (since that was how the os could be reloaded), so I don't think you should have to change anything in bios to allow that. More likely, you have a bad disk image. Have you tried one from rom-o-matic? Go to:

http://www.rom-o-matic.net/5.2.5/

If you can't find the model you need, select etherboot-pci:all-pci-drivers , then click Configure. Check the box beside the CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT and then the Get Rom button. Copy the image to a floppy using cat eb-downloadedimagename.zdsk > /dev/fd0. The pci-direct options gets around Compaq's messed up bios.

That said, you may have problems with the card finding dhcp or downloading the kernel if your machine has an onboard NIC. If it does have an onboard nic, you can try booting it using either the etherboot-pci, tlan:netflex3b, or pcnet32:lancepci floppies from rom-o-matic, configured with the CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT option.
If it boots, but the speed is not good enough, you will have to go to the link below and try to figure out which boot floppy you need to turn off the nic

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S10F216B9

I know one of these four service packs created a single setup disk that worked for me (sorry I can't remember which one): SP4711, SP8126, SP8424, SP15800.
Sorry for the length of the message, but HTH!

-john smith