On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Tom Allison wrote:

> "syslogd: cannot write to remote file handle on 192.168.1.10:514"

Make sure that the syslog server on 192.168.1.10 is listening for log
messages. With syslogd from sysklogd package, you use the -r switch.

> Is this something I need to add to the /etc/hosts.allow file?

Most versions of syslogd do not use TCP Wrappers.

But maybe you have a firewall that is stopping the UDP 514 traffic.

 Jeremy C. Reed

                         open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
                         http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/