You can also make use of the Rsync command which will copy all user
permissions as well over to the new system.

OF course this is assuming the user accounts exist on the other
machine. This option will provide you the ability to phase users over
as well because it can do incremental changes of the directories

Ie rsync -avz --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh /home [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:24:45 -0500 (EST), Jim McQuillan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Amit,
>
> Use  tar to make a single file, containing the home directories.
>
> Then scp that tarfile over to the new system, and then un-tar it.
>
> something like this:
>
>   cd /home
>   tar cvf /tmp/someuser.tar someuser
>
>   scp /tmp/someuser.tar  othersystem:/tmp
>
>   ssh othersystem
>
>   cd /home
>   tar xvf /tmp/someuser.tar
>
> of course, replace 'someuser' with the user you want to transfer,
> and replace 'othersystem' with the name of your new system.
>
> Jim McQuillan
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Amit Vyas wrote:
>
> > I have installed a new LTSP Server, and want to migrate some users to
> > the new machine.
> >
> > When i tries to scp the home directory of the users to new server
> > permissions of all the files changes to root.
> >
> > and kde is not able to start up.
> > How to migrate users to new server.
> >
> > Please suggest.
> >
> > --
> > Amit Vyas.
> > //Real Programmers Don't Comment Their Code It Is Hard To Write So Must
> > Be Hard To Read //

Patrick Prue
President - Prue Consulting Inc.
(905) 329-9317