> Hey group.  I'm getting ready to build a new server for our LTSP use,
> and am going with a nice dual-Opteron setup.  It shall be killer :)
>
> In the past, I've always used Slackware, but Slackware doesnt have an
> AMD64/x86-64 option.  Since I'm not as familiar with any of the other
> Linux distributions that DO have an AMD64/x86-64 option, I wanted to
> gather experience from users on this list that might have used one.
>
> Any help, suggestions, links would be appreciated.

Debian, in one form or another, would be a great choice (well, I always
say that, perhaps you'll feel I'm too convinced to be objective...).

If a stable distro (in the Debian sense of the word, which means
software that has been tested and tried for some years) is required then
I don't think you'll find any, as the Opteron hasn't been around for
long enough. But for LTSP use stability in the cracker-secure sense of
the word usually isn't that important, and distros with roots in Debian
unstable should be ok.

AMD64 is supported by Debian, it is still marked "experimental" but that
has (according to the people working on it) more to do with the politics
and general slow cycles of Debian than the quality. Have a look:
http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/

Other than that, I would really recommend Ubuntu. There is one
requirement though, and that is that your desktop environment of choice
is GNOME. If using KDE then go for stock Debian. That's the way Ubuntu
works... they take one app (one desktop, one browser (firefox), one
office suite (openoffice.org), and focus their efforts on that).
However, since Ubuntu builds on Debian all Debian software is still
available, so don't let this scare you.

Ubuntu has a six-month release schedule synchronized with GNOME's, a
native AMD64 distro, and so on. And it is getting quite a following and
press. First version of the distro came along in october, but since it
builds on Debian that shouldn't count against them. Think of Ubuntu as a
sub-selection and quality control of the myriads of Debian packages.
They will even ship you a pressed CD install-CD for free (just sign on
the list, and order the i386 version too as it is the only one coming
with a live-CD so that you can try it out). www.ubuntulinux.com

// Dag Sverre