John,
Take a look at the Gnome Desktop System Administration Guide and the Gconf command line tool. You may look at the archives - I think this came up before.

Also, consider IceWM instead of Gnome because of it's light weight and MUCH easier controls over the things you mentioned.

John A. Smith wrote:
I've finally got my first k12ltsp lab up and running well. Now I just need to tweak a couple of things.

First, is there an easy way to tweak individual user account's security/access
levels. I have an account that I basically just want to have access to
edutainment, games, graphics, office and web apps. I don't want them to be able
to change any system settings, including themes, display, panels, etc. Is there
a way to limit access to this stuff?

Second, and closely related, is there a utility for configuring an individual
accounts main menu? I want to eliminate several categories of apps that show
up. I also want to eliminate this user's terminal access. Any suggestions?

TIA for any help!

-john smith

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- John A. Smith Director of Administration Breakthrough Urban Ministries 5243 N. Ashland Ave. Chicago, IL 60640-2001 PH: 773.989.4382, x230 FAX: 773.989.7329 http://www.breakthroughministries.com

For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net