I spoke to soon.  Sound sometimes works for regular users, sometimes doesn't.
root seems to always work.  No idea what is going on.  I have Mozilla 1.7.5,
mplayerplugin 2.75 (recompiled from src with --enable-gtk1), latest version of
flash.  There  was a note about needing /tmp/.esd/socket to exist for flash, as
well as a link in /usr/lib for libesd.so.1 to libesd.so.0.  Still no happiness.

Mozilla is also crashing when loading videos.

Any ideas?  Upgrading my systems to FC2/3 might be an option if I knew the
upgrade wouldn't kill the systems (re-install from scratch can't happen till
June).

Thanks,
Dave Hopkins