On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:56 +0000, John Horne wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas about how I can see which clients are using
> an LTSP server if the clients are configured to only be at runlevel 3?

I could find no easy solution to this. However, I see that the client
has access to the 'logger' command. So one thought was to modify one of
the 'local' syslog levels to record when someone logged in (in
rc.local). The problem then being if they just turned off the client -
no record of them logging out!

I have decided that instead I would use the /etc/hosts file since that
contains all the clients IP addresses. First ping the address, and if it
responds then use ltspinfo to check something like the RUNLEVEL. If this
responds with a runlevel value then obviously the client is running
linux via LTSP (and currently logged in since we only use runlevel 3),
if it doesn't then the client is running something else (in our case it
will be MS windows which rejects the connection).

John.