Hello,

I have installed LTSP 4.1 onto a Fedora core 3 (2.6.10 kernel) linux
box, and I can boot up client PC's using the stock 2.4.26 kernel with no
problems. We only need to boot the clients to runlevel 3.

However, I am trying to build a new kernel because I have been asked
that disk access is disabled in the kernel - the clints have a disk with
MS Windows on it and we do not want that touched by LTSP/users at all.

I have been following the LTSP docs regarding building a new kernel, but
am a bit confused and have hit a problem.

First, could I rebuild a 2.6 series kernel to be used instead of a 2.4
one? I'm assuming that the LTSP packages are expecting C libraries and
the like based on a 2.4 kernel, so using a 2.6 kernel may well build but
not really be useable if the applications crash (from invalid library
cals etc).

Secondly, I grabbed a copy of the 2.4.29 kernel, the ltsp_initrd_kit
(3.0.15), and mknbi (1.4.4). Building the kernel (a 2.4 kernel being
built on a 2.6 system) had problems with depmod. I grabbed the modutils
(2.4.27) source and built depmod, the ninstalled it as depmod.old. The
kernel built okay. The modules compiled (using 'make modules'), but I
get an error with modules_install (some lines wrapped):

  if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.29-
    ltsp-1; fi
  depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/2.4.29-
     ltsp-1/modules.alias
  depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.29-ltsp-1/modules.ccwmap is not an ELF file
  depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.29-ltsp-1/modules.inputmap is not an ELF file
  depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/2.4.29-
    ltsp-1/modules.symbols
  make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1

Any ideas about this? Searching the net is again throwing up a fair
amount of information but nothing that seems to help. Comparing the
2.6.10 modules.ccwmap file to the 2.4.29 one shows no differences at
all. 'file' just shows them both as ASCII files. Using depmod.old
instead of depmod makes no difference (gives the same errors).

I pushed ahead and ran 'buildk' with no problems, although it suggested:

  running mknbi-linux
  mkelf-linux is preferred in future instead of mknbi-linux

I copied the /lib/modules/2.4.29-ltsp-1 (the name I used) directory
to /opt/ltsp/i386; modified our PXE default config file and tried
booting a client. The kernel seemed to load okay, but /linuxrc calls
dhclient and for some reason some things like the root-path are being
returned with a '\000' character on the end - obviously the boot fails
since it can't find the right file/directory to mount.

Any thoughts about all this? I guess the ELF bit should be sorted out
first and then see if it all starts to work. Has anyone else built a new
2.4 kernel under a 2.6 system?

Thanks,

John.