Mathias,

I have a VIA Epia mini-itx based system (533MHz Eden fanless CPU) with
128MB memory.

It boots by PXE perfectly. It has a usb printer, scanner and pen tablet
attached. The on-board sound and video work. I have had issues with
higher resolutions running higher colour depths because the video
chipset clock can't support them (but that would depend on the model of
board you choose). I am running the older chipset which takes SDRAM.

I have found that the limiting factor for a terminal is more memory than
CPU. For example, printing a complex graphics file from OpenOffice to a
printer connected to the terminal crashed the terminal until I added NFS
swap. If you don't have a printer attached, 128MB RAM is plenty.

As for the DVD, remember that many mini-itx cases only support slimline
optical drives (ie laptop drives) so be prepared to spend more for less.

The VIA based systems are perfectly quiet because they are fanless. So
quiet, in fact, that the only sound I hear is the slight buzzing of the
monitor (time for an LCD panel, I think).

John