While this is definitely a syntax issue, it isn't a problem.  I read through
the source code that instanciates the Xrm resources from the xdm-config
file.  Of interest is the section that checks for the first non-whitespace
character on a line.  If the character is a !, it is immediately treated as
a comment and the rest of the line is ignored.

If the first character is a #, Xrm interprets the next token as a directive.
The only supported directive by Xrm is #include.  So this seems to point to
the problem.  However, in the Xrm code, if the next token isn't "include",
it will read to the end of the line and ignore the entire line.

Aha! you might say.  After thinking perhaps xdm doesn't specify a default
port and therefore it will assign 0 to the port number, I then went back and
reread the xdm code.  The default value for the incoming request port is
177.  So that's not the failure.  If it doesn't get a specific Xrm resource
for "DisplayManager.requestPort" from the config file, it assigns 177 as the
resource for DisplayManager.requestPort.

Your thinking was along the lines of mine.  Unfortunately we're both wrong
in this instance.

------------------------------

On to the rest of the problem.  If the thin client IP address isn't
specified in /etc/dhcpd.conf, it wouldn't really matter in the long run,
provided the DHCP server is providing an address on the specified network.

Really basic questions here:

1) Is GDM running on the server?
2) Do you a firewall enabled on the server?
3) If a firewall is enabled, are you allowing inbound port 177 requests and
outbound port 6000 activity from the server?

Dave Fenwick