I ran into the same issue where it hangs once it tries to go into
multisession mode, but if you try to telnet into it you can get a session
going.

If you're not opposed to using xdm, I got it working by adding the following
line into /etc/inittab.

x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon

You can also put the command line into a script if you don't always need a
graphical display. This will give you the graphical logon screen. However,
you will need to make sure that your users have the appropriate Xsession or
.xsession setup. Otherwise you will not be able to login.

For something simple, you might try the following just to get started:

in ~user/.xsession

#Begin File

#!/bin/csh -f
/usr/X11R6/bin/mwm &
xterm

#End file

Be sure the file is owned by the user and is executable.

Hope this helps! Once you get something basic working, then you can get more
fancy.