Elbert,

I can't speak for the exact time it should take to load firefox locally,
but it is pulling alot of stuff across the network.  I definately expect
startup times to be quite a bit longer than it would be to just run it
from the harddisk.

There are probably things you could do to speed it up.

I don't know what 'Linux Enterprise v3.1' is.  If it's running a 2.4
kernel, then the NFS packets are probably defaulting to 8k blocks.

With a 2.6 kernel on the server, they will default to 32k blocks.  This
might offer some increased performance for large transfers.

Also, you could try a gigabit link between the server and the switch.
For just a single client, this isn't going to help, but as you connect
more clients, this could help out quite a bit.

Another thing you should check is the command that you are using to
launch firefox locally.  If you are using ssh, and if you don't specify
a 'DISPLAY' variable, then you are sending all of the X traffic across
the link twice.

Hope that helps,
Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]