Hello,

After digging through ltsp mail archives i could make
last, who, w commands operate properly in ltsp
environment.

I modified the files sessenv, GiveConsole,
TakeConsole, xdm-config for this purpose. The details
are given below.

The following sites were useful.

1. Derek Dresser's tips on ltsp contrib site.
2.  Knowing exactly who is currently logged-in. David
Johnston.

http://www.mail-archive.com/ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03434.html
3.  Knowing exactly who is currently logged-in -
Solved Philip A. Roa

http://www.mail-archive.com/ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03725.html

Details:

I created a bash script /etc/X11/xdm/sessenv
-----snip----------
#!/bin/bash
#
# modification for proper who, w operation

HOST=`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f1 -d: | cut -d\. -f1`
DISP=:`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f2 -d:`
if [ -z $HOST ]
then
        HOST=$HOSTNAME
fi
-----snap----------

Then modified /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole

-----snip----------
#!/bin/sh
#
chown $USER /dev/console

# modification for proper who,w
source '/etc/X11/xdm/sessenv'
/usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg  -a -w "/var/log/wtmp" -u
"/var/run/utmp" \
        -x "/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers" -l $HOST$DISP  -h $HOST
$USER
-----snap---------

Then modified /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole

------snip--------
#!/bin/sh
#
chmod 622 /dev/console
chown root /dev/console

# modification for proper who,w
source '/etc/X11/xdm/sessenv'
/usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -d -w "/var/log/wtmp" -u
"/var/run/utmp" \
        -x "/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers" -l $HOST$DISP  -h $HOST
$USER

And  /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

DisplayManager*setup:   /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager*startup: /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager*reset:   /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole

regards,
Mahesh M.