A user in my company was impatient when LTSP was first boot on her machine. She reset the machine halfway. But this caused her to be unable to get the login screen at all, instead only presented with the famous gray screen.

Unfortunately, when other users turned on their machines, they got the same thing.

I concluded that somehow GDM failed to process new XDCMP requests, because users who already logged in can continue working with no problem. So I looked on how to get gdm to accept xdcmp again, but all I found is gdm-restart and gdm-safe-restart. gdm-restart is not feasible because it causes logged in users to be kicked out. gdm-safe-restart waits for existing users to log out before it restart gdm; but this can take hours since there are many users on this server and at any time there's bound to be a few working on uninterruptible tasks.

Does anyone knows if this (restarting just xdcmp process) can be done ?

Thanks,
Harry