G'day,

I've been toying with LTSP for years and it looks like I'm finally going to get to deploy it for real. Before I do though I have two questions that didn't get any good hits in the archives but I'm sure that experienced LTSP'ers will no doubt have solutions.

1. I've decided to run with Icewm to keep things as fast as possible. However there doesn't appear to be any feedback to the user on application startup (like the hourglass cursor). I know of the Xalf project and was going to use that but it appears to be at end of life because there is a new application notification standard that Gnome/KDE support but Ice doesn't. I'm open to using a different window manager and have installed Fvwm (but disappointed with it's look and feel, and not sure that I want to spend the yards working out how to change it seeing as it also doesn't appear to provide a busy feed back). Someone else has suggested that the cursor is not necessary as the cpu monitor in the Icewm task bar activates when the user launches and app but this is not really that good and goes off when other users do stuff. I also don't want the constant network traffic that the cpu thing requries.

2. How can I restrict the number of applications that a user launches to a reasonable amount? The users are being moved from a PC environment where they seem to be in the habit of trying to get the most many applications iconified into the task bar. I would think that half a dozen applications per user would be heaps.

TIA's

Pete