nigel barker wrote:

Have you tried konqueror? It starts without the left frame, but you can
quickly get it with an F9. I use it mainly becuase it launches faster than
nautilus, and it will preview photos and those other kind of things that
simpler file managers don't do. Plus it doesn't do that annoying "open
everything in a new window" trick that nautilus does nowadays.

I second konqueror. What's esspecially nice about it is you can get it the way you want and then save the configuration for later automatic use.

Also, I approve of the sidebar and it has the added bonus of allowing a small terminal window along the bottom for command line options that you'd like ot run (such as switching user to root and installing rpm files without having to open another application, or compiling without a terminal).
--

joe auerbach
systems administrator