On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Brian Buchanan wrote:

> Well that wasn't so painful.
>
> Except for:
>
> 1. Everytime I started xdm, the console went GUI until I found
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and commented out the :0 line.  Maybe there's a better
> way to do this, but I don't know X.

That's exactly the way to do it.

> 2. I couldn't get xdm to listen on 177, which sounds like a problem where
> xdm is compiled with IPv6 support but my current server kernel doesn't have
> it, so I had to add to /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess the line LISTEN 0.0.0.0

Usually all that is needed is a line that contains only a '*' as the
first character on the line.

> 3. The remote terminal usually had trouble with dhcpcd, but twice out of
> about 10 attempts it did work.  I switched from the 2.6 kernel to the 2.4 on
> the last boot and it's working so far, but I actually haven't tried again
> yet.

Hmm, shouldn't matter whether is is 2.4 or 2.6.  Any chance you have
another machine on the network either using the same IP address, or
another machine serving up DHCP ?

> then everything fired up great.
>
> I find I don't like that xdm, or is it twm?  What's the deal with resizing
> Netscape with the bottom right resizer, that the window grows up and to the
> left?  That's weird.  The top right resizer seems more sane.

Sounds like twm.  Go with Icewm if you want a nicer lightweight window
manager.

> Well, I'm off to install Slackware's KDE packages and hack through them.
>
> Quite the nice package you've got here.  I have not remote booted a
> workstation in a dozen years or more.

Glad to hear it's all working for you.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]