Thank you Jim,
it is Gnome, and the the option: Sound an audible bell was checked. After unchecking it, the message disappeared,.

Peter

Jim McQuillan wrote:

Peter,

You didn't say which desktop environment you are using.

If it's Gnome, you can go into the 'Sound Preferences' item in the
menus, and uncheck  'Enable sound server startup'.  That might stop it
from warning you of the problem.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]