Marc DeTrano wrote:

If I understand this right, the file-max is a limit for all file handles on the system. I don't think I am reaching that limit:

At this moment:
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
33360   0       309816

(I take that to mean I am using about 1/10th the number of possible open file handles).

I suspect that the ulimit setting of 1024 open files, for a user, may be the limiting factor here (just from googling around a bit). If I see this problem recur I may bump that up to 2048 in limits.conf. I am not sure exactly how famd is supposed to work here. It looks like famd, run via xinet, will run as the logged in user (when they launch Konqueror, for instance). If another user launches Konquerer, I see famd's user change to that user in the process list--I guess it is still keeping all the files open (for all other fam clients as well), and that may be how it is reaching the 1024 limit. (maybe?) Since the user is "changing" I would have to up the limits across the board.

Thanks for your help.

Marc

When I type "ulimit", it replies "unlimited" for my configuration. I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on the "Standard" security level rather than the "high" level. I'm sure that this has implications that are relevant here.

-Joe Baker