Okay, I found the solution to this problem.  Well, somewhat...

The problem is outlined in this archived post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net/msg18049.html

Adding the "--prefix=/usr" to the CONFIGURE line fixed the problem.  What
is surprising, though, is that no one has made this change in the core
LTSP builds.

It did work for me to build the corrected rdesktop on my office system
(running an out of date LBE) and just copy the binary to the terminals'
path on the client system, so at least I didn't have to put all of LBE on
the client system for a simple config change.

Thank you all for all your help and efforts!

On Wed, August 10, 2005 1:09 pm, Michael George said:

> On Wed, August 10, 2005 12:35 pm, Verner Kjærsgaard said:
>> Onsdag 10 august 2005 16:17 skrev Michael George:
>>> I am having a strange problem with a clients' keyboards.  We have them
running normal PS/2 keyboards on standard terminals.
>>> They boot up right into rdesktop (running on the server, not locally) and
>>> they log into their Windows 2003 Terminal Server.  They keyboard
proper
>>> works fine, but everything to the right is unresponsive.
>>> I have googled and searched archives, but all the solutions I found dealt
>>> with rdesktop running as a local app or non-US keyboard layouts. I'm
running a standard LTSP 4.1-r1 install in Gentoo and I've tried
rdesktop 1.4.1 and 1.3.1.  My keyboard settings are the default:
>>>         XkbSymbols         = "us(pc101)"
>>>         XkbModel           = "pc101"
>>>         XkbLayout          = "us"
>>> which works fine in our office with Dell Optiplex terminals and rdesktop
>>> 1.3.1 to the same server.
>>> The customer is getting quite annoyed and I'm not sure what else to
try...
>>>  any suggestions are welcome!
>> I don't know if this will help, but I start rdesktop with the -N switch in
>> order to get keys to the right of the keyboard working...
>
> That did help a bit.  It does make the numbers work, but the arrows and
delete and all that still don't work.

> I tried using rdesktop from an X session rather than when the terminal
starts and that works fine.  I am upgrading to ltsp 4.1.1 to see if that
helps...

-Michael George
 Ideal Solution, LLC