I will attempt to reboot and then I will refrain from running that benchmark.  If that fixes the problem we won't hear another word about it (though I may be unable to do any benchmarking, sorry).

Jim McQuillan wrote:
Joe,

Hoary uses GDM.

GDM has a problem, because it tries to ping the Xserver every 15
seconds.  IT's not an ICMP ping. It sends an X request to the Xserver,
and expects a reply.  I think if it doesn't get 3 replies in a row, it
assumes the session is dead, and it kills the session.

Several of the tests in x11perf take longer than the 45 seconds to
perform, therefore GDM assumes the session is dead, and it kills it.

I'm not sure that is the problem you are having, but it's worth looking
into.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]