Hi guys!

I recently deployed a number of LTSP sites for a social project - hope to include it soon on the LTSP Success Cases List! :) - where we used up to 10 thin clients with no local apps running. The server was based on a 3.0GHz P4 (Prescott) running a 2.6.12.3 kernel (with SMP enabled for Hyper Threading), 1GB DDR400 RAM and a single 80GB 7200rpm ATA drive. Throughout the test phase everything worked just fine and I guess it could take even more clients.

Now I'm about to install LTSP for a school where they will use 25 thin clients, but I don't have the resources to test it before they buy everything, so I'd like to know from anybody who already implemented LTSP networks this size (or larger) what would be the minimum specs for a server like this. I should say they will almost always use the same app on all clients at a given time, which could be basically OpenOffice 2.0, firefox and an accounting program (probably GNUCash).

I think of using a 10/100 switch with a Gigabit uplink to the server, but I'm not sure how much memory would be enough (maybe 2GB is allright?). Also, apart from redundancy, would a Linux Software RAID 1 configuration do any good regarding data throughoutput? What do you have to say about a P4 3.0GHz vs. an AMD64? I read here all the time of people using dual processor boards for big LTSP servers... for 25 clients that would be really necessary or it can live well just with a single P4 HT / AMD64?

I appreciate any input I can get and would like to thank everyone involved in making and enhancing this great system!

[]s

Claudio